Recent Press Releases
Ricoh announces the Caplio R4
HUGE 7.1x optical zoom, 6 Megapixels in a slim, pocketable body
Tokyo, February 23, 2006. Ricoh Co., Ltd., (president and CEO: Masamitsu Sakurai) has announced the release of the new Caplio R4 compact digital camera featuring a 7.1x optical wide zoom, (28-200 mm in 35 mm camera format), biggest in the compact class * and vibration correction function.
- *among compact digital cameras less than 150g as of February 22
|Product Name||Caplio R4|
|Suggested Retail Price||Open Price|
|Start of sales||March, 2006|
|Monthly Production||50,000 units|
With a smaller body, the new Caplio R4, has a 7.1x (28-200 mm) wide-angle, high-powered zoom lens, the biggest in its class. Building on the highly successful R3, the new R4 boasts 6 megapixels, longer battery life and a high resolution LCD.
Major Features of the Caplio R4
- 1.New 6.04 million square pixel CCD.
- • The CCD is effective up to 6.04 million square pixels with the Smooth Imaging Engine image processing system. Combined with the vibration correction function, representative, superior, high-definition images can be created.
- • It is possible to select a 35mm aspect ratio (the horizontal to vertical ratio of the image) of 3:2.
- 2.The long-life rechargeable battery, a standard accessory, lets you shoot approx. 330 pictures.
- Thanks to the power-saving features of the internal circuit, it is possible to capture up to 330 separate images under CIPA standards using the standard accessory rechargeable battery even while using the large LCD display ,and Vibration Correction. (310 pictures for the Caplio R3).
- 3.New improved 2.5-inch large-scale LCD, with 153,000-pixel resolution.
- • The Caplio R4 has an easy-to-see 2.5-inch large-scale LCD monitor with improved resolution (153,000 pixels compared to 110,000 for the Caplio R3).
- • During playback, 12 pictures can be displayed simultaneously on the large screen. While checking previous and subsequent pictures, the screen can be separated into three parts to allow fast forwarding and rewinding.
- • Often used icons can be enlarged for greater visibility.
- • The brightness of the LCD can be increased to maximum with a single touch and visibility can be adjusted to suit well-lighted areas.
- 4.7.1x wide zoom lens, largest in its class, in a lightweight 135g, 26mm body!
- • The newly developed Double Retracting Lens System, allows the lens assembly to be stored in the camera body during lens storage. This enables the body, a mere 26 mm, to have a 28-200 mm 7.1x wide zoom lens.
- • The highly versatile Caplio R4 delivers outstanding results in practically any photographic situation, whether it's capturing a panoramic landscape in one shot, wide-angle images in a room where everything is very close, or the fine details of distant objects.
- 5.Vibration Correction function, based on a CCD shift method.
- • Whenever it detects excessive camera motion, the vibration correction system, based on a newly developed CCD shift method, moves the CCD in the opposite direction to counterbalance camera shake, resulting in sharp pictures that would have been blurred otherwise.
- • As it is not necessary to incorporate the vibration correction system into the lens, many lens design options, were available, facilitating the design of a slim body and a wide to long telephoto range lens.
- • The Caplio R4 shows its effectiveness best in high-powered telephoto, macro, or indoor shots without using flash. Once again the vibration correction system allows for sharp images that would not be possible otherwise.
- 6.The macro function, a Ricoh specialty, has been further strengthened.
- • The camera's macro mode, can take a macro shot of an object from just 1 cm away.
- • The zoom macro function automatically sets the focal distance of the lens at the optimum distance for capturing an image of each object as large and close as possible.
- • If AF Target Selection is used, it is even possible to focus on objects within the frame without moving the camera. By determining the optimum field of view, taking into consideration such information as the size or contrast of the object, focusing accuracy becomes that much higher when shooting in macro.
- 7.High speed response capability enables stress-free shooting.
- • Release time lag (the time from the instant the shutter button is fully pressed-without using focus lock-until exposure actually starts) is as fast as approx. 0.09 seconds on average.
Quick responses are essential in order to capture picture-perfect but near-instantaneous moments such as the expressions and movement of children or pets. Now stress-free, near-instantaneous shots are possible.
- • Time calculated from the instant the focus is locked (half-press) until exposure actually starts is a miraculous 0.007 seconds on average.
- • Shooting interval and start time are both rapid, approx. 0.5 and 1.1 seconds, respectively (measured while the flash is off).
- 8.The skew correction function
- • Through an original algorithm, which automatically detects trapezoids in images and corrects them to rectangles, images of such things as blackboards, documents, or time schedules shot at any angle can be corrected so that the image looks as though it were shot from the front. The camera is most effective in business environments where blackboards, over head projector, OHPs, time schedules, signs, etc. cannot be shot from the front.
- 9.A design combining style with portability
- • The design combines functionality and texture with such features as a comfortable grip, easy-to-use controls, high-grade materials, surface finishing, and a compact body of 95.0 mm (W) x 53.0 mm (H) x 26.0 mm (D).