Recent Press Releases
Ricoh releases fourth function-enhancing firmware update for GR DIGITAL II
Tokyo, Japan – April 15 – Ricoh Co., Ltd. (President and CEO: Shiro Kondo) announced today that it will release on April 22 the fourth function-enhancing firmware update for its GR DIGITAL II, a high-resolution compact digital camera launched in November 2007.
Successor model to the GR DIGITAL, which proved very popular in the two years following its October 2005 launch, the compact GR DIGITAL II achieves a level of image quality capable of satisfying professional photographers, experienced amateurs, and photo aficionados. Ricoh's function-enhancing firmware updates are developed in response to opinions and requests received from a large number of customers via GR BLOG, surveys submitted at customer registration time, etc. They make it possible to update already purchased GR DIGITAL II cameras with the latest functions. This is the fourth release of function-enhancing firmware for the GR DIGITAL II; the first release took place on March 2008, and the second on July , and the third on November.
*For the predecessor GR DIGITAL model, there was a total of five releases beginning from March 24, 2006. Those releases were downloaded by many users and were very well received.
The function-enhancing firmware and instructions for using these functions can be downloaded free of charge from the Ricoh website.
- (1)It is now possible to manually set the flash amount.
When the flash mode is set to [Manual Flash], it is now possible to set the flash amount. For the flash amount, you can select from 12 levels ranging from full flash to 1/45.
- •This enables you to fix the flash amount so that it will not be affected by the light reflectance of the subject and background.
- •This results in a relatively short time lag since there is no need to do a pre-flash to get exposure information.
- (2)It is now possible to set the flash timing.
The timing at which the flash fires can be selected from the choices "1st Curtain" (immediately after exposure begins) and "2nd Curtain" (immediately before exposure ends).
- •Normally it is convenient to use "1st Curtain," which fires the flash when the shutter is pushed.
- •Using "2nd Curtain" when shooting a moving subject in flash (slow) synchro can result in images with more natural light trails.
- (3)It is now possible to register white balance compensation in My Settings.
You can select whether to save in My Settings the value set for white balance compensation.
- (4)The TODAY'S SHOTS display function has been added.
The number of images recorded during the current day can be displayed on the LCD monitor when the power is turned off.