- Ricoh MP5240A DVD+RW/+R drive
- Quick start instruction
(Bundled software and Online manuals)
- Drive serial number sticker
(To be applied to the warranty for safe keeping)
- Mounting screws
*The following items are not included in the package.
Please purchase them separately as needed.
- Analog audio cable
- ATAPI cable
- DVD+RW/+R media and CD-R/RW media
Accessories or bundled software vary from a package to a package.
|Supported media for writing||DVD+RW, DVD+R, CD-R, CD-RW, High-Speed CD-RW|
|Writing speed||[DVD+RW] 2.4x, 4x [DVD+R] 2.4x, 4x
[CD-R] 4x, 8x, 12x, 24x [CD-RW] 4x, 10x
|Reading speed||[DVD-ROM/DVD+RW/DVD+R/DVD-R *1/DVD-RW] *1 Max. 8x
[CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW] Max. 40x
|Recording capacity *2||[DVD+RW/DVD+R] 4.7GB
[CD-R /CD-RW] 650MB, 700MB
|Data transfer speed (at I/F)||Max. 33MB/sec. (in Ultra DMA mode2)|
|Average access time||[DVD] 140 msec. [CD] 120 msec.|
|Installation||Horizontal or vertical|
|Power requirement||DC 5V/12V|
|Dimensions (WXDXH)||148.5X196.4X42.3mm (including the front panel)
145.6X191.4X41.6mm (without the front panel)
- Note: For 8cm (single) CDs, only playback is possible. (If the drive is placed vertically, 8cm CDs cannot be used.) Also, playback operations of Copy Protected Audio Discs are not guaranteed.
- *1On some Ricoh brand kits, a note on the outer packaging says that it is not possible to read or play DVD-RW or DVD-R media. However, DVD-R and DVD-RW media are readable only when written using DVD-ROM or DVD-Video format.
- *2Usable capacity of media depending on their formats.
- *3Bundled software does not support this feature.
- * Ricoh DVD+RW/DVD+R/CD-R/CD-RW media are recommended for best performance.
For details on verified media, see [Recommended and Verified Media for MP5240A].
|Hardware||IBM PC/AT compatible (DOS/V) computer
Requires a free half-height (42 mm/5") bay and +12V/+5V power connector space.
|Interface||One free Enhanced IDE (ATAPI) interface connector (Primary Slave, Secondary Master, or Slave)|
|OS *4||Windows98/98SE, WindowsMe, Windows2000 Professional, or WindowsXP|
|Capture boards verified for neoDVD and TransRecorder||Capturing from digital video cameras||OHCI-compliant IEEE1394 interface board for PCI slot (NEC or TI Chip)|
|Recording TV programs or capturing analog video||
- *4For details on the OS requirements for the bundled software, refer to the ‘OS List for Bundled Software’.
- *5Recording is supported, but viewing TV programs is unavailable with TransRecorder.
- * Be sure to update to the latest capture device drivers before using.
- * These capture boards are for use in capturing and direct recording with TransRecorder or neoDVD. Other capture boards can be used if the corresponding software can create video files suitable for DVD authoring.
- * We cannot be liable for the content of recorded material if you experience problems due to the operating environment and cannot record with this drive or bundled software.
- * Adding or editing contents are only possible when using DVD+RW media.
For DVD+RW/+R writing
|Compatible computers||CPU||Pentium3, Celeron 700MHz processor or faster
(Pentium3, Celeron 1GHz processor or faster recommended *6)
|RAM||Minimum 128MB (over 256MB recommended)|
|HDD||Over 400MB free disk space (over 5GB recommended)|
- *6 1.1GHz or more recommended for direct recording with neoDVD. Also, Pentium4 2GHz or faster required for direct recording in AC-3 mode.
[For DVD-Video/DVD+VR playback]
|Compatible computers||CPU||Pentium2 350MHz processor or faster|
|HDD||Over 20MB free disk space|
For CD-R/RW writing
|Compatible computers||CPU||Pentium2 300MHz processor or faster|
|RAM||Minimum 128MB or more|
|HDD||Over 100MB free disk space (When using On-the-fly writing/JustLink)|
- *DVD-RAM reading/writing and DVD-R/DVD-RW writing are not supported.
- *On some Ricoh brand kits, a note on the outer packaging says that it is not possible to read or play DVD-RW or DVD-R media. This should be correctly read: "It is not supported to write on DVD-R/DVD-RW media. However, it is possible to read/playback DVD-R/DVD-RW media that recorded in DVD-ROM or DVD-Video format."
- *DVD-ROM, DVD-Video and DVD+VR created on DVD+RW/DVD+R media can be read/played back on the majority of existing DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players. However some of the existing DVD-ROM drives and DVD players may not playback DVD-ROM, DVD-Video and DVD+VR created on DVD+RW/DVD+R media. (rare, in the case of DVD+R). For compatibility details,see the Playback Compatibility List.
- *JustLink is a registered trademark of Ricoh Co., Ltd.
- *JustSpeed is a trademark of Ricoh Co., Ltd.
- *Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and other countries.
- *The official name of Windows is the Microsoft Windows Operating System.
- *Dolby and the double-D symbol are registered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories.
- *All other company and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
- *The specifications and drive appearance are subject to change for improvement without notice.
Recommended and Verified Media for MP5240A
|Recommended media||Verified media|
|2.4x||Ricoh||Mitsubishi Chemical (Verbatim), Sony,Fujifilm, RITEK, TDK, Maxell, Imation|
|DVD+R||4x||Ricoh||Victor, TDK, Imation, Maxell|
|2.4x||Ricoh||Mitsubishi Chemical (Verbatim), Sony, Fujifilm, RITEK, TDK, Maxell, Imation|
|CD-RW||Ricoh||Mitsubishi Chemical (Verbatim), Fujifilm,Ritek|
|CD-R||Ricoh||Mitsubishi Chemical (Verbatim), Taiyo Yuden, Mitsui Chemicals, CMC, Acer, MBI, Maxell,
RITEK, Prodisc, TDK
- Specifications |
For MP5240A users